Could your red, bumpy skin be due to a condition known as rosacea?
While most people may experience a red, flushed face from working out or from using acne-fighting skin products, if you notice that you have frequent redness flare-ups then you may be wondering what’s going on. Could your persistent symptoms actually be due to rosacea? Our Kaysville, UT, cosmetic dermatologist Dr. Jacqueline Silkey is here to tell you a bit more about this common skin condition.
What is rosacea?
This chronic skin problem usually appears after the age of 30 and causes redness in the cheeks, nose, chin or forehead that may flare-up at random. While there is no definitive cause for why rosacea happens, it’s believed that heredity could have something to do with who develops this skin condition and who doesn’t.
What are the signs and symptoms of rosacea?
While some people with rosacea have no idea what triggers their symptoms, there are certain factors that can bring about a flare-up of rosacea including stress, exercise, alcohol, spicy foods and extreme temperatures. Anything that increases blood flow in the skin can potentially trigger an episode.
Symptoms of rosacea include:
- Profound facial redness
- Visible blood vessels on the surface of the skin
- Red pimple-like bumps
- Eye irritation or swollen eyelids
When should you see a doctor?
If you are dealing with frequent skin redness and irritation then it’s always a good idea to turn to our cosmetic dermatologist in Kaysville, UT, for some answers. While not all facial redness is due to rosacea, it’s important that you get to the bottom of your symptoms so that you can find a treatment plan that will help you best manage your symptoms if, in fact, you do have rosacea.
How is rosacea treated?
As we mentioned earlier, this condition is chronic; however, despite not being curable, rosacea symptoms can be managed with certain treatment options. The goal of treatment is to lessen the severity and frequency of your flare-ups.
We will often prescribe medications that can reduce redness and prevent blood vessels from dilating. Medications may be applied topically or orally. Sometimes certain laser therapies are also prescribed in conjunction with medications. These laser treatments can help to reduce the appearance of blood vessels on the face.
Are you experiencing symptoms of rosacea? If so, then let the cosmetic dermatological team at SilkeySkinMD in Kaysville, UT, get your skin back on track. Call us today to schedule a consultation.
Still waxing? Professional laser hair removal can remove unwanted facial and body hair more reliably and more comfortably than other hair removal methods. SilkeySkinMD, which is located in Kaysville, UT, offers laser hair removal treatments to their patients. Dr. Jacqueline Silkey is your cosmetic dermatologist in Kaysville, UT. Here are the top five benefits of laser hair removal.
1. It Eliminates Hair- Laser treatments will give you the hair-free skin you desire. Laser treatments are useful for removing hair from the face, abdomen, chest, arms, underarms, legs, back, bikini line, and other areas. It's possible to remove hair in nearly any area.
2. No Sticky Messes- Chemical depilatory gels and creams are one of many hair-removal options available. Depilatory gels and creams can create a big mess, and getting rid of the broken-down hair and gel or cream is not easy. When you undergo laser hair removal, there are no creams, gels, and sticky messes.
3. It Saves Time- Whether you're yanking hair out with wax, smearing on depilatory creams, or shaving with razors, you're likely spending many hours a month doing it. Professional laser hair removal can help you save time. The treatments reduce hair growth and the need for shaving.
4. It Saves Money- Many folks spend hundreds of dollars per year on hair removal products, but the cost of laser hair removal treatments often amount to much less. Professional laser hair removal is long lasting and will help you save money over the years due to less or zero hair growth.
5. It's Pain-Free- Laser hair removal with The Soprano Ice Hair Removal Laser is virtually pain-free. It is considered to be less painful than other hair removal methods. Electrolysis is an invasive procedure that can be extremely painful. Shaving may remove unwanted hair, but it can also lead to cuts and razor burn.
6. It is Safe and Effective- Professional laser hair removal is a safe procedure. On average, approximately four to eight laser hair removal treatments are used to achieve maximum results, depending on the area being treated; and the results are long lasting.
Unwanted facial and body hair can affect your self-esteem and confidence. Don't want to wait another minute- call SilkeySkinMD at 801-882-2200 right now to schedule an appointment for a professional laser hair removal treatment in Kaysville, UT.
Looking young and healthy has never been as important as it is in today’s society. Looking great and feeling great helps boost confidence levels and make face-to-face interactions more enjoyable. For these reasons, cosmetic dermatology is an effective and quickly-growing facet of dermatology in general. Find out more about cosmetic dermatology and what it can do for you with your Kaysville, UT, cosmetic dermatologist Dr. Jacqueline Silkey at Silkey Skin Dermatology.
What is Cellfina?
Cellfina aims to improve the appearance of cellulite. The process uses a needle-sized tool to perform the treatment, requiring no general anesthesia or operation. Cellfina’s results last around three years and are almost immediately noticeable with many patients seeing results in as few as three days. A Cellfina treatment usually lasts about 45 minutes and normally targets the buttocks and thighs.
What is Kybella?
Kybella helps improve the appearance of a double chin. This injectable treatment is nonsurgical and destroys the fat cells which lie underneath the skin. By destroying the cells, the fullness underneath the chin shrinks and tightens. The process takes about 20 minutes and includes several injections underneath the chin. Most patients require about six treatments.
What are SkinMedica chemical peels?
A chemical peel targets the appearance of the facial skin, smoothing the appearance of unwanted fine lines and wrinkles. Your dermatologist can help you choose from a variety of strengths of Skinmedica chemical peels, depending on the severity of the damage to and imperfections in your skin. Skinmedica chemical peels are appropriate for any skin color and type. Most patients find that they see their desired results within three to six treatments.
Cosmetic Dermatology in Kaysville, UT
If your skin is often the source of embarrassment or decreased self-esteem, you could benefit from cosmetic dermatology. From cellulite to sun damage, cosmetic dermatology can help you look and feel great. For more information on cosmetic dermatology, please contact Dr. Jacqueline Silkey at Silkey Skin Dermatology in Kaysville, UT. Call (801) 882-2200 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Silkey today!
What your cosmetic dermatologist in Kaysville wants you to know
Botox treatment can help diminish the early signs of aging and even treat some common medical conditions. If you are suffering from fine lines and wrinkles or other early signs of aging, you owe it to yourself to investigate what Botox can do for you. Dr. Jacqueline Silkey, your cosmetic dermatologist at Silkey Skin MD in Kaysville, UT wants to help you uncover how Botox can help you.
Botox is a medicine derived from a toxin produced by a bacterium known as Clostridium botulinum. In injectable form, Botox temporarily paralyzes or “freezes” the muscles and nerves around the injection area.
Botox is well regarded for its use in cosmetic treatments including diminishing the appearance of:
- The frown lines in your forehead called furrows
- The lines between your eyebrows, called glabella
- The smile lines around your nose and mouth
- The wrinkles around your eyes called crow’s feet
Dr. Silkey will discuss beforehand the number of injections you will need and the results you can expect, depending on the area treated. During your Botox treatment, she will use a tiny needle to inject small amounts of the medicine under your skin.
You can expect results to last between 4 to 6 months. Additional maintenance treatments are recommended to get the most out of your Botox regimen. Treatment cost varies depending on how many injections of Botox you need.
Botox can help combat the early signs of aging. You deserve to look and feel your best and Botox can help. For more information on Botox and other restorative and cosmetic skin care treatments, call Dr. Jacqueline Silkey, your cosmetic dermatologist at Silkey Skin MD in Kaysville, UT. Call today!
How your cosmetic dermatologist in Kaysville can help
If you have skin lesions, there are treatments to make your skin clear again. Skin lesions can come in many forms, from benign issues like moles, to potentially serious problems like skin cancer. The good news is, no matter what type of skin lesion you have, there is a dermatology treatment to help. Dr. Jacqueline Silkey at Silkey Skin MD in Kaysville, UT wants to share how you can get rid of your skin lesions for good.
Moles are produced by skin cells called melanocytes. When the melanocytes grow into clumps, it becomes a mole. Moles are common, and it is typical for people to have between 10 and 40 moles, but these moles usually have a diameter of less than 6 millimeters.
Most moles are benign, however, they can be a sign of skin cancers including melanoma, basal cell carcinoma, or squamous cell carcinoma. There are some recognizable signs and symptoms of a mole that may be turning cancerous. You need to look for:
- A change in color
- An irregular border
- A change in shape, size or height
- A diameter 6 millimeters or larger
In addition, you should visit Dr. Silkey if you notice that your mole is:
- Oozing or bleeding
- Itching or burning
- Painful or irritated
- Growing back after it has been removed
You can have your skin lesions removed permanently, quickly and easily. Dr. Silkey offers a wide range of treatments to get rid of your skin lesions. Consider:
- Prescription medicated creams--to treat moles at home by stimulating your body’s immune system
- Shaving your moles--an excellent way to remove small moles, with no incisions or suturing required
- Excising your moles--using a punching instrument to surgically remove the mole; with this type of treatment, sutures are required.
- Cryosurgery--using liquid nitrogen to freeze the mole or lesion
Mohs Micrographic Surgery; an excellent way to remove large lesions; the lesion is removed surgically and each layer of tissue is reviewed under a microscope. This treatment ensures less healthy skin is damaged in order to remove the lesion.
These are just a few of the effective treatments available to remove skin lesions. For more information on these and other treatments, call your cosmetic dermatologist Dr. Silkey at Silkey Skin MD in Kaysville, UT. Look forward to clear skin by calling today!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.